Become a Member
Summit Federal Credit Union's policy is "Once a Member, Always a Member!" This means that once you join the Credit Union, you retain your membership for as long as you wish, no matter where you work or live. To open your account at SFCU, you must deposit and maintain $50.00 in a regular share account and pay a $5.00 membership fee. To join, simply complete the Membership Application and return it to the credit union with your check for $55.00 or more.
Any person you choose can be a joint owner on your account. However, joint ownership by itself does not constitute membership. Joint ownership does allow another person(s) to make deposits and withdrawals on your account at any time. If you want a joint owner on your account, let us know, and we will forward the necessary paperwork to you.
Membership at Summit Federal is open to any employees or members of eligible companies and organizations, as well as their immediate family members. Find out if your company or organization is a member.
If your employer is not listed and you would like information about becoming a Summit FCU Select Employee Group, please contact Suzi at (330) 376-3626 x 137. The process of becoming a SEG is very easy and is a great benefit to offer.
Those also eligible for membership include the following:
- Immediate family members of existing members, including: spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, son, daughter, grandparent, grandchild, stepparents, stepchildren, step-siblings, and adoptive relationships
- Students of all schools within the field of membership of Summit FCU
- Spouses of persons who died while within the field of membership of SFCU
- Persons retired as pensioners or annuitants from the employers listed on our Eligible Employers and Organizations page
- And organizations of such persons
How to Become a Member
Join In Person
We'd love to meet you! Come in to either our Akron or Salem branch to open your SFCU account. Our employees will be glad to assist you in opening an account and answering any questions you may have, and there’s no appointment needed. See you soon.
What to bring:
- Your driver’s license as well as a copy of a second form of ID other than your Social Security card (such as a work ID, voters registration or major credit card)
- Cash or a check, payable to Summit Federal Credit Union, in the amount of at least $55. This includes a one-time $5 membership fee, plus $50 as a minimum balance requirement. The $50 will be deposited to your Membership Account.
Join By Mail
You can print out our Membership Application, complete and sign it, and mail it to Akron or Salem, whichever branch is closer to you:
Akron: Summit FCU, PO Box 1460, Akron, OH 44309-1460
Salem: Summit FCU, PO Box 226, Salem, OH 44460
To join by mail, you must:
- Include a photocopy of your driver’s license (or other official picture identification) as well as a copy of a second form of ID other than your Social Security card (such as a work ID, voters registration or major credit card)
- Enclose a check, payable to Summit Federal Credit Union, in the amount of at least $55. This includes a one-time $5 membership fee, plus $50 as a minimum balance requirement. The $50 will be deposited to your Membership Account.
Join Through Your Payroll Office
If you are joining as an employee of one of our eligible groups, your payroll office should have a supply of Membership Applications and Payroll Deduction Authorization Cards. Please call them first to make sure. If not, please call us and we’ll mail them to you. If so, complete a Membership Application provided by your office and you can sign up for Payroll Deduction at the same time. Your account can be opened with your first payroll deduction, which your payroll office will send to us along with your Membership Application. It’s that easy! There will be a one-time $5 membership fee deducted from your first deposit. As soon as your Membership Account reaches a minimum fifty dollar balance, you are welcome to use all the services and benefits that Summit FCU has to offer!
Identity Verification Notice
USA Patriot Act - The purpose of this law is to help protect you, your family and our country from terrorism by preventing terrorist financing. We want you to know that Section 326 of this Act requires all financial institutions to verify the identity of all members/customers. We must also verify the identity of members and nonmembers added as signatures that have access to new or existing deposit accounts and loans. We must also retain copies of documents used to verify your identity. If you are an existing member who joined the credit union before the Patriot act rule became effective, we may also need to verify and retain copies of any documents used to verify your identity when you request a new deposit account, apply for a loan or are added as a signatory to a new or existing deposit or loan account. We ask for your understanding as we work to support these efforts to maintain the security of your funds and our country. Please speak with a credit union staff member if you have any questions or concerns about our identification policies.
How will your company or organization benefit?
As an employer, one of your greatest challenges is attracting and retaining qualified employees. By incorporating credit union membership as an additional employee benefit, the company will gain a far-reaching employment advantage. As members of Summit Federal Credit Union, your employees will have the opportunity to satisfy their personal financial needs with a financially sound organization. This peace of mind will have a positive influence on morale and productivity. It will make employees feel good about their employer, who made this opportunity possible. Credit union membership is one of the few work-related benefits that reaches into the home. Because family members may also join, they can share in the benefits of membership!
Along with the extended purchasing power of their paychecks, provided by our competitive interest rate structure, we offer many other cost-saving products and services – some at no cost at all. Under one roof, your employees will have access to all of the financial products and services they need to attain their personal goal of financial security, all this at no cost to you!
If your company or organization is ready to be a member group or if you have any questions, please call or email* a member of our management team. We’ll answer your questions and tell you how to become a member group to make all of your employees eligible for membership. It’s very easy and well worth your time.
*Please be advised that electronic mail is not secure, and confidential or personal information should not be communicated in this manner.